3710 m Murma viewpoint
Min 2 Pax
All Year Round
Lakes are fascinating places surrounded by extensive flora and fauna. Any lake, anywhere in the world, is much attractive to all species & it doesn't surprise us when people do create artificial lakes. However, a lake located in the mountain region has a completely different fan base. Mountain lakes are cool and pristine and Rara Lake is no exception.
Rara Lake Jeep Tour from Himalayan Trekkers is an exemplary package to view this impressive Himalayan lake which is also the largest in Nepal and covers an area of 10.8 km2.
It is located at an altitude of 2,990 m in mid-western Nepal. There used to be no direct routes to Rara National Park in the past and it took 2-3 days of walking to get to this awesome place. However, with the development of enough dirt roads, Rara lake has now become much more accessible by jeep.
In September 2007, Lake Rara was declared a Ramsar wetland site due to its rich biodiversity. The variation in the flora of this place is extensive and exquisite. It also attracts a lot of fauna too. Being a body of water, this place is full of so many different species of butterflies and birds in the right season.
The rustic beauty of the lake attracts local and international tourists throughout the year. It is a very refreshing place that is surrounded by snowy peaks on all sides. The lake does not exclude the energetic environment of the mountains and has a very relaxing effect on the nerves. If someone is looking for a bit of tranquility amongst the lush desert, this is the place to be. The exquisite beauty also ensures that this is a heavenly site for photographers.
- Rara National Park comprises of the largest Himalayan freshwater lake Nepal. The whole place is surrounded by several small, mountainous villages amidst the backdrop of the Himalayan landscapes.
- Take a ride along the Karnali River that courses its way through Nepal and enjoy one of the most memorable times of your life.
- Rara Lake offers many different activities. You can go on a horse riding experience along the banks of Rara Lake. The lake also offers the chance to go boating.
- Many amazing, hidden trekking routes radiate around the Rara Lake and National Park that can take you to quaint locations such as the Thakur Baba’s Temple. If you are a trekking aficionado, then this can come up like a dream spot for you.
- The Rara National Park boasts of highly varied biodiversity and you may come across many rare species of flora as well as fauna throughout the region.
Things to Do
Boating in Rara Lake:
Rara is an immense lake and every drop of this lake is worth exploring. Its unique position in the Himalayas gives it a climatic advantage and hence it is a site for diversity in life. The bank is lined with all kinds of plants- both readily seen as well as exotic ones. Animal life is also extensive in and around this lake. There are many different types of aquatic life. It is also home to 3 of the endemic aquatic species. If you are lucky enough you may even come across a Red Panda. Rara Lake boating experience is the best if done in early mornings. You can just rent a boat and paddle away into the far corners of this lake.
Horse-riding along the Banks:
Riding along the banks of a mountainous water body through a lush forest on horseback is a majestic exp4erience. Rara National Park offers you the chance to go about the lake on horseback to give you the most refreshing experience. The dense pine forest is filled with all kinds of birds who are happily chirping away as you ride through.
It is also a great place if you are a seasoned rider. You can indeed hire guides while you are horse-riding. However, if you know how to ride then Rara offers some excellent expanses in which you can speed up your ride and enjoy the burst of fresh air on your face.
- Murma Viewpoint: one of the hiking trails around Rara Lake takes you to the Murma Viewpoint. It is a short way off and does not take much time. You get to walk through the thick pine forest to reach this exceptional point that gives a terrific view of the surrounding area. The small villages, the forest and all kinds of animals and birds will be available to you from here.
- Perfect End to a Perfect Day: while you are at Rara you can as well just sit along the banks and relax. You need not go through any of the activities and just laze your time along the banks and have an equally filling experience. The tranquillity of the hills and the calming blue of the water are sure to help you focus and think. It ensures that your nerves are calm and relaxed at all times.
About Altitude Sickness
Well, as it is above sea level at a height of 4000m, there are hardly any chances to get altitude sickness. The only thing you can feel is a slight headache plus back pain for traveling too long. Just take the required medicines such as for cold, joint pains, etc and it will be fine.