Nepal, being a country with diverse cultures and traditions, is also widely known for its excellent geographical features and altitude variation. So is also the home to various migrating birds.
If you are looking for a short nature walk to observe several species of wild but cute birds around Kathmandu Valley, then this dedicated day trip might be the best option for you.
Not only to escape from the noisy and polluted city but also to immerse yourself into nature, get to know it, and meditate with beautiful murmurs of birds. Hence, the key to this trip.
As the Kathmandu valley is surrounded by hills from all directions, it has many options for bird-watching excursions. You can visit many destinations like:
Shivapuri National park
- Home of 318 species of birds.
- Shelter for rarely found species like; Spiny Babbler, Hoary-throated Barwing, and the White-throated Tit.
- Other species like Hill Partridge, Great Barbet, Wedge-tailed Green Pigeon, Eurasian Jay, Kalij Pheasant, Nepal Fulvetta, Asian Paradise-Flycatcher, Rufous-bellied Woodpecker, Mountain Scops Owl, and Grey-winged Blackbird.
- Variety of Eagles, variety of Robins, warblers, laughing thrushes, white-rumped vulture, Hodgson’s Bushchant are also seen.
- Home for around 300 species of birds.
- A destination for the highest number of species can be witnessed within a single day.
- Shelter for species of birds like; Rufous-gorget Flycatcher, Rufous-bellied Niltava, Yellow-browed Tit, Chestnut-headed Tesia, Red-billed Leiothrix, Whiskered Yuhina, Besra, Bronzed and Racket-tailed Drongos, Greater Yellownape, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Nepal Cutia, Ultramarine Flycatcher, and Black-winged Cuckooshrike.
- A variety of warblers, babblers, thrushes, eagles, vultures can be seen.
- Blue-naped Pitta is a rare one found here where Spectacled Finch is seen occasionally.
Godavari Forest & Botanical Garden
- Almost 200 species of birds come in search of food and shelter.
- Some common birds seen here are; Rufous-gorget Flycatcher, Rufous-bellied Niltava, Yellow-browed Tit, Chestnut-headed Tesia, Red-billed Leiothrix, Whiskered Yuhina, Besra, Bronzed and Racket-tailed Drongos, Greater Yellownape, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Nepal Cutia, Ultramarine Flycatcher, and Black-winged Cuckooshrike.
- Home for about 40 species of birds.
- Some majorly found birds are; Asian Barred Owlet, Spot-bellied Eagle Owl, Chestnut-tailed Starling, Blossom-headed Parakeet, and the Steppe and Bonelli’s Eagles.
- Lesser Kestrel is rare species found here.
- Within the Bajrabaharahi area, do visit Bhattedanda for other species of birds.
- Home to about 35 species of birds.
- Some commonly seen in this area are; Northern Eagle Owl, Red-billed Blue Magpie, Long-tailed Mountain Thrush, Chestnut-headed Bee-Eater, Maroon Oriole, Large Hawk-Cuckoo, and Eurasian Woodcock.
- A brown wood owl is seen occasionally.
- As it is not yet well explored, other species of birds can also be seen.
Few other destinations famous for Bird Watching
- Taudaha (lake) & Chobar area
- Pashupatinath Temple area
- Swayambhunath area
- Chandragiri hills
Be part of an amazing bird-watching tour with Himalayan Trekkers around Kathmandu valley and get refreshed. As it is a single-day tour, it can be customized according to your requirements. You are very welcome to add days & develop a program accordingly.