Drive via private vehicle.
Nepal, being the country that has a great culture and tradition, is also widely known for its excellent geographical features and altitude variation. So is also the home to various migrating birds.
If you are looking for a short nature hike to observe several species of birds and wild but cute creatures in the Kathmandu Valley, then this bird watching tour in Kathmandu might be the best option. Not only to escape from the noisy and polluted city but also to immerse into nature, get to know it, meditate with beautiful murmurs of birds. Hence, the key to this trip.
As the Kathmandu valley is surrounded by hills from all directions, it has many options for bird watching excursions. You can visit many destinations like;
- Shivapuri National park:
- Home of 318 species of birds.
- Shelter for some of the rarely found birds species like; Spiny Babbler, Hoary-throated Barwing and the White-throated Tit.
- Other bird species found in are; Hill Partridge, Great Barbet, Wedge-tailed Green Pigeon, Eurasian Jay, Kalij Pheasant, Nepal Fulvetta, Asian Paradise-Flycatcher, Rufous-bellied Woodpecker, Mountain Scops Owl, and Grey-winged Blackbird.
- Variety of Eagles, variety of Robins, warblers, laughing thrushes, white-rumped vulture, Hodgson’s Bushchant are also seen.
- Phulchowki hill:
- Home for around 300 species of birds.
- A destination where the highest number of different species of birds can be witnessed within a single day.
- Shelter for different species of birds like; Rufous-gorget Flycatcher, Rufous-bellied Niltava, Yellow-browed Tit, Chestnut-headed Tesia, Red-billed Leiothrix, Whiskered Yuhina, Besra, Bronzed and Racket-tailed Drongos, Greater Yellownape, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Nepal Cutia, Ultramarine Flycatcher, and Black-winged Cuckooshrike.
- A variety of warblers, babblers, thrushes, eagles, vultures can be seen.
- Blue-naped Pitta is rare one found here where Spectacled Finch is seen occasionally.
- Godavari forest & botanical garden:
- Being a foot of Phulchowki hill and as it has a good garden, various species of birds visit this place.
- Almost 200 species of birds come for food and shelter.
- Some common birds seen here are; Rufous-gorget Flycatcher, Rufous-bellied Niltava, Yellow-browed Tit, Chestnut-headed Tesia, Red-billed Leiothrix, Whiskered Yuhina, Besra, Bronzed and Racket-tailed Drongos, Greater Yellownape, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Nepal Cutia, Ultramarine Flycatcher, and Black-winged Cuckooshrike.
- If you want to see birds then please do visit in working days rather than public holidays; as lots of internal travelers and children visit this place for a picnic and educational tour where the chance of witnessing birds is very poor in holidays.
- Bajrabarahi area:
- Home for about 40 species of birds.
- Some majorly found birds are; Asian Barred Owlet, Spot-bellied Eagle Owl, Chestnut-tailed Starling, Blossom-headed Parakeet, and the Steppe and Bonelli’s Eagles.
- Lesser Kestrel is rare species found here.
- With the Bajrabaharahi area, do visit Bhattedanda for other species of birds.
- Nagarjun hill:
- Home for about 35 species of birds.
- Some commonly seen in this area are; Northern Eagle Owl, Red-billed Blue Magpie, Long-tailed Mountain Thrush, Chestnut-headed Bee-Eater, Maroon Oriole, Large Hawk-Cuckoo, and Eurasian Woodcock.
- A brown wood owl is seen occasionally.
- As it is not explored nicely yet, other bird species can be seen too.
Few other destinations famous for Bird Watching:
- Taudaha (lake)
- Pashupatinath temple area
- Swyambhunath area
- Chandragiri hills
- Chobar area
Be part of an amazing bird watching tour with Himalayan Trekkers around Kathmandu valley and get refreshed. As it is a single day tour, it can be tailored according to your desire. You are very welcome to add days & develop a program accordingly.